Preparing for a School Visit to the Space Centre
For primary and intermediate schools we divide the students into groups. Each group has one adult leader. Before your visit, you need to organise your adults and students into groups with approximately the following numbers:
- Year 0 - 3: 1 adult, 5 children
- Year 4 - 6: 1 adult, 6 children
- Year 7 - 8: 1 adult, 7 children
When you ask for helpers, please make it clear that all adults will be assigned a group of students to supervise and assist with activities. We rely on adults who are willing to do this (it's not difficult). "Helpers" who just drink coffee and play on their phones are worse than useless, they can really spoil the visit.
Please do not bring more adults than you need. For example, unless a student genuinely needs one-on-one supervision, do not bring extra family members who only want to spend time with their own children. If you have people who want to do this, suggest that they make a separate visit on one of our public open days.
Teachers can either assign themselves to a group or keep themselves separate and be "floating".
For secondary schools we don't usually need extra adult helpers. One teacher per class is enough but you can bring a few additional helpers if you want to.
Some time in the week before your visit, please confirm your booking via email, phone or Facebook.
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING
See our map. Cars and vans can park on the grass beside the main building or on Whitmore Street. Please do not park in the neighbour's property. Buses can park on any of the three roads surrounding the Space Centre, or on the tar seal next to the church. Your bus driver may like to drive around the whole triangular block before choosing exactly where to park (it's a small block).
- Please let us know about any students with special needs in advance.
- Please provide an accurate head-count of students and adults as soon as you arrive.
- There are two toilets in the main building. The female toilet doubles as the disabled toilet.
- The building is wheelchair-accessible (click here for details).
- If you need a Risk Assessment & Management Form you can use our RAMS template (we don't need you to send it to us, it's just for your own records if you want it). You can find more compliance information and documents here.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.