Space Dave Live #8
Wednesday 8th May 2019, 7pm (NZT)
Watch on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4hnks4ulo
- Competition: Blue Origin's tweet of Endurance (Sir Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic, 1914): twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1121797276190437376
SPACE CENTRE NEWS & HOUSEKEEPING
- Thanks: Allen Little (viewablesky.nz)
- Patreon: Welcome Liz Oosterman
Our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/SpaceCentre
- New telescopes
India's ASAT test worse than predicted: https://room.eu.com/news/debris-from-indias-asat-test-worse-than-predicted
Blue Origin New Shepard
- About New Shepard: blueorigin.com/new-shepard/
- Big windows, 6 passengers, 11-minute flights. Passengers planned later this year.
- 11th launch of this test series, 5th launch of this rocket/capsule.
- Payloads on NS-11: 38 science experiments, including 9 supported by NASA
- Launched Friday 3rd May NZT, to 100 km altitude: youtube.com/watch?v=T84qFp4_3ns
- Book a trip on Blue Origin: blueorigin.com/new-shepard/become-an-astronaut/reserve-a-seat
- New Glenn launch planned for 2021.
- Crew Dragon update: Hans Koenigsmann doubts the anomaly is related to the previous Demo-1 test.
- ISS electrical problems are fixed.
- This Dragon capsule previously visited ISS in August 2017.
- Droneship recovery.
- Orbiting Carbon Observatory 3 will measure atmospheric CO2: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiting_Carbon_Observatory_3
- Space Test Program-H6, including experiments related to space junk and situational awareness.
- Organs on chips, including possible anti-aging therapies (antioxidants).
- Student biology research payloads
- ISS Parkinsons research: nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/parkinsons-research
- Astrobee Robotic Free Flyer (recently arrived at ISS): https://www.nasa.gov/astrobee
- Launched on Star Wars Day, May 4th.
- Rendezvous and Capture May 6th.
- Rocket Lab is a US company; the New Zealand business is a subsidiary.
- Launch Complex 1 is in New Zealand.
- Launch Complex 2 is in NASA's Wallops Flight Facility, Virginia, USA, and could be operational this year (2019).
- That's a Funny-Looking Cactus.
- Launched May 5th at 18:00 NZST.
- Payload: 225kg, 1.2m diameter.
Asia's growing space industry
- Linkspace: linkspace.com.cn
- New Chinese start-ups develop cheap rockets and tiny satellites: youtube.com/watch?v=9bLqZrqyak0
- Momo-3, Japan's first private rocket to reach space: japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/05/04/business/tech/momo-3-becomes-first-privately-developed-japanese-rocket-reach-outer-space
- Sunrise and sunset photos: nasa.gov/feature/jpl/insight-captures-sunrise-and-sunset-on-mars
- Sunset photos are a Mars lander tradition.
- The colour comes from fine dust particles that are the right size to allow blue light to pass more directly. Rayleigh scattering.
- Sunsets are useful for measuring atmospheric dust.
- Mars twilight can last two hours due to increased light scaterring by dust.
- Still no news on heat probe.
- Asteroids may have delivered half of Earth's water:
- New clues to ancient water on Itokawa:
Hubble Legacy Field
- New image created from nearly 7,500 individual exposures over 16 years.
- 200,000 galaxies dating back to 500 million years after the Big Bang.
- Roughly 200 trillion stars.
- Hi-res images: www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1909a
- Asteroid threat simulation by ESA, NASA & others.
COMPETITION RESULTS, WRAPPING UP, GOODNIGHT.
- The race to develop the Moon: