Space Dave Live #10
Aired: Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 7pm (NZT). Watch on YouTube at https://youtu.be/74u2yuAgooM
- NASA provides up to $45.5M for 11 companies to study lunar landers, spacecraft, and in-space refueling technologies over the next 6 months.
Companies contribute at least 20% of the cost.
Undefinitized contract actions allow work to begin immediately.
Emphasis on streamlining procurement & operations, first woman.
- NASA's uphill battle for Moon funding:
Funding will not be from other NASA programs, but education etc.
Danger of partisan politics.
- Reddit AMA:
- NASA Testing Method to Grow Bigger Plants in Space:
- Starlink launch delayed until Friday.
- More than one Starship being built. Elon tweeted:
"SpaceX is doing simultaneous competing builds of Starship in Boca Chica, Texas, & Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Both sites will make many Starships. This is a competition to see which location is most effective. Answer might be both.
Any insights gained by one team must be shared with the other, but other team not required to use them. "
Starhopper testing may resume any time.
- Elon Musk to Receive Stephen Hawking Communication Prize from Astrophysicist Brian May:
Solar System & Beyond
- Beresheet crash site:
- Chang’E-4 initial spectroscopic identification of lunar far-side mantle-derived materials:
- NASA's OSIRIS-REx is orbiting asteroid Bennu, collecting data and searching for a sample collection site.
- Mars 2020 Is Coming Together:
- Scientists Think They Know How Pluto's Hidden Ocean Stays Liquid:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0369-8 (paywalled paper)
- Initial results from the New Horizons exploration of Ultima Thule:
- Betelgeuse captured by ALMA:
- Something ripped a hole in the Milky Way:
- The universe may be a billion years younger than we thought:
- Breakthrough Starshot (tiny interstellar spacecraft):
- Bill Nye swears in climate change video.
- Competition Winner: Tristan Ilich