Space Dave Live #11
Aired: Wednesday 29th May 2019, 7pm (NZT). Watch on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2N581Vf6-4
- Help NASA find a landing site on asteroid Bennu:
- Starlink launch:
"What you're seeing is stage separation where only half the rocket keeps heading towards orbit (you can see the other half drift off towards the right). As to why you're seeing it: the sun has just set so it's dark where the viewer is and where the rocket launches from. So when it gets high enough and the separation phase happens a bunch of chemicals drift into the atmosphere and freeze creating little crystals then the light from the sunset illuminates them creating the light show you're seeing."
- Starlink train sightings:
Arguments over the night-sky impact:
Satellites have a shiny down-facing surface, with a solar panel about 3 x12m.
Elon (the "science communicator" prize winner) playing it down.
Starlink website: https://www.starlink.com
- Student-made rocket reaches space:
- Failure of Chinese Yaogan-33 satellite (military reconnaissance?).
Problem was with the Long March-4C rocket's third stage.
The second failure of the Long March 4C booster in the last seven missions.
- Space Exploration Network: https://sen.com
- Send your name to Mars:
- Jupiter's Great Red Spot is changing:
- Some comets have the same isotopic ratios of water as Earth:
- Centenary of confirmation of relativity:
- Lego ISS proposal:
- Matariki events in the Waikato: https://matarikiwaikato.nz/ (14th June - 28th July)
Officially from about June 25th - July 3rd. Our Matariki day is on Sunday June 30th.
- Momentum Grows for Nuclear Thermal Space Propulsion:
In the Night Sky
- Venus/Moon conjunction on the morning of June 2nd, Matariki.
Everything is Fake
- Ideas for a flat earth debate?
- Trailers for Terminator Dark: Fate, Westworld S3, Star Trek: Picard. No ST4