Space Dave Live #14
Aired: Wednesday 19th June 2019, 7pm (NZT). Watch on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zblWu-uQPM
Intro & housekeeping
- Competition: What should be the name of New Zealand's planet?
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/SpaceCentre
- Facebook live
- Telescope ripoff (thanks John 1948 for the link):
- Google Hangouts
- NZ gets to name an exoplanet:
https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/exoplanet-catalog/6925/hd-137388-b/This is the IAU, not a scam.
Part of celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of the IAU.
NZ's planet is HD 137388 b, in a system with an orange dwarf star (HD 137388) in the constellation Apus, 132 light years from Earth.
Small gas giant (1/5th Jupiter mass), similar year and distance from star as Earth.
Visible with a small telescope.
Indigenous names are encouraged.
- NASA estimates it will need $20 billion to $30 billion for moon landing:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/13/tech/nasa-budget-moon-mission-artemis/index.htmlJ Bridenstine told CNN NASA needs $4-6 billion extra per year.
This is less than some predictions.
NASA's budget for FY2019 is $21.5 billion, around 0.5% of the federal budget.
Expect resistance from democrats and the public.
- NASA reveals spring starshade:
- The Planetary Society's LightSail 2 launch window opens 24th June 2019.
http://www.planetary.org/explore/projects/lightsail-solar-sailing/Crowdfunded, enclosed within a small satellite built by Georgia Tech students
Goal: To raise orbit and show that solar sailing is a viable means of propulsion for CubeSats.
May be visible for about 1 year.
- India planning to launch own space station by 2030:
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indian-space-station-india-planning-to-launch-own-space-station-says-isro-chief-2052686Planned crewed space mission in 2022, station in 2030.
- Lego ISS:
- Star Trek emblem on Mars:
- Apollo 11 real time: https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/
In the Night Sky
- HD 137388 in Apus
Observation: June 25th - 28th, Calebration: June 25th - 3rd July
Remembering dead, celebrating the present, planning for the future
- Living By The Stars with Professor Rangi Matamua:
Questions & discussion topics from viewers
- Tristan Ilich: Curious to know what’s on the monitor to your right. Looks interesting.
- Leah Trass: Any update on the satellite that was going around the sun (oribiting) ? It had a huge shield on the front of it to stop it from burning up and transfer the heat.
- Mike Sigley: Parker Solar Probe:
- John 1948: Will SLS/Orion get to the Moon before Starship?
- Tristan Ilich: Telescope tips and tricks, cool things to observe esp for kids.
Know the sky. Don't be discouraged. Accept disappointment.
Start with the Moon, Crux.
- Janet Hjorth: Question from me....what is a falling star..why does it fall and are any pieces found on earth..?