Space Dave Live #15
Aired: Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 7pm (NZT). Watch on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01UDYyP3B6I
Intro & housekeeping
- Competition: Should Rocket Lab have to publicly disclose every payload?
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/SpaceCentre
- Sunset over New Zealand: facebook.com/SpaceCentre/posts/2238732406194190
- Tekapo's Dark Sky Project opens:
- Rocket Lab launch video (29th June 2019):
Launched multiple spacecraft as part of a rideshare flight procured by Spaceflight.Peter Beck interviewed by MIT Technology Review:
Stuff submits request for payload information:
- NZ Space Agency to track satellites launched from NZ:
- Apollo Mission Control Reopens:
- Falcon Heavy launch video:
Side boosters reflown & recovered. After more than 18 months trying, SpaceX caught a Falcon fairing half.
SpaceX's Demonstration Mission-2 is now tentatively planned for November 15, 2019.
- Blue Origin tests its BE-7 engine:
- SpaceIL cancels Israel's Beresheet2 moonshot in favour of a secret objective:
- NASA’s First Astrobee Robot “Bumble” Starts Flying on the ISS:
ISS Is Home To Molds That Can Withstand Radiation Doses That Would Kill a Human:
- Curiosity Detects Unusually High Methane Levels:
- Image captured by NASA's Juno spacecraft as it performed a close pass of Jupiter:
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22949Composite of 4 photos taken between 8,000 & 18,000 km above the surface.
Some bright-white clouds can be seen popping up to high altitudes on the right.
- NASA's Dragonfly Will Fly Around Titan Looking for Origins, Signs of Life:
- Two potentially earth-Like exopanets found around nearby star:
- A Fast Radio Burst has Finally Been Traced Back to its Source: the Outskirts of a Galaxy 4 Billion Light-Years Away:
https://www.universetoday.com/142683/a-fast-radio-burst-has-finally-been-traced-back-to-its-source-the-outskirts-of-a-galaxy-4-billion-light-years-away/FRBs, discovered in 2007, are faint but assumed to be from a distant energetic source. FRB 180924 comes from a galaxy similar to the Milky Way, 3.6 billion years away.
- Astronomers See Evidence of Supermassive Black Holes Forming Directly in the Early Universe:
- New property of light discovered:
- What Brexit means for UK space leadership:
U.K. to fund development of spaceport facilities for Virgin Orbit:
- UFOs: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/20/politics/politics-ufos-trump/index.html
Questions & discussion topics from viewers
- Rob suggested this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmgill/
- Jacob Fox: What is a good telescope would you recommend?